Acaster's Goal Sends Panthers Past Hilbert

Photo by Erika Helo
Photo by Erika Helo

HAMBURG, N.Y. -- The University of Pittsburgh at Bradford men's soccer team came out on top at Hilbert, 1-0, through treacherous rain Wednesday.

"We played well and had a lot of chances, but just couldn't finish anything until the very end," Head Coach Nate Whitehurst said. "Derrick came up with a few big stops at the end that really helped finish out the game."

Pitt-Bradford pushed offensively early on, firing 18 shots in the first half and putting seven on net.

With just over eight minutes remaining in the first half, heavy rain began to pour down on the players and the game was halted with over six minutes to go in the half due to visible lightning.

After the weather delay, the two teams were back on the pitch and competing on the soggy surface, and eventually took a scoreless tie into a brief halftime.

Despite the Pitt-Bradford offensive push, the two teams eventually took a scoreless tie into a brief halftime.

The Panthers controlled much of the offensive game in the second half they outshot the Hawks, 14-8, in the half and forced the keeper to make five saves.

Off a feed from Matthew Perry, Ethan Acaster broke the silence with a goal with under 10 minutes to go, his first of the season.

The goal held up, and the Panthers improved to 2-1 in conference play.

In goal, Derrick Brock earned his second clean sheet of the season -- both serving as the team's two conference wins.

Brock made four saves -- two in each half -- to keep the Hawks out of the net.

In total, the Panthers outshot the Hawks, 32-18, putting 13 on goal. Both totals are season highs for the Panther offense.

Perry, Acaster, Wyatt MayNoah Black and Ugwunna Amadi put two shots on goal apiece while Jean Paul Diaz, Ryuta Hayakawa and J.T. Magro had one each.

The heavy offensive volume led the Panthers to 13 corner kick opportunities.

The Panthers will be in action next on Saturday as they travel to Franciscan for a 1 p.m. kickoff.